Bowie State celebrates 150 years of excellence

On January 9, 1865, the Baltimore Association for the Moral and Educational Improvement of Colored People opened one of Baltimore City’s first free schools for blacks in the African Baptist Church in Crane’s Building on the corner of Calvert and Saratoga Streets. Bowie State University (BSU) evolved from that early school teaching the elements of education into a comprehensive, diverse university preparing students for a changing world. The university officially launched a year-long celebration of the 150th anniversary of its founding at Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture in January.

  • photo thumbnail
  • photo thumbnail
  • photo thumbnail
  • photo thumbnail
  • photo thumbnail
  • photo thumbnail
  • photo thumbnail
  • photo thumbnail
  • photo thumbnail